ALSO CALLED DOD ENTERPRISE EMAIL, AKO ARMY ENTERPRISE EMAIL IS THE NEW EMAIL PLATFORM SET BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE THAT OFFERS A GREAT NUMBER OF BENEFITS.
The Department of Defense (DoD) has replaced the old AKO Webmail with the new platform, namely AKO Army Enterprise Email. As of 1 October 2012, the DoD instructed the deactivation of the AKO webmail accounts and the migration to the DoD Enterprise Email (DoD EE or DEE).
Behind the Change to AKO Army Enterprise Email
One of the reasons behind the change is to reduce operational costs while enhancing operational effectiveness at the same time. Meanwhile, the primary reason is security, that the Army, with its Enterprise Email, expects to provide a more secured and cloud-based email service capability.
At the end of 2013, the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) planned to integrate effective components cloud-based systems. This computing system provides tough, faster, and easier tools that the authorized users can access at any time and anyplace.
The DEE soon has proven to be the solution for cutting the government operational cost and providing what the staff need regarding their communications and work. It gives ease of operation from one framework simply for all the personnel. Also, it makes communication, training, and knowledge-sharing a lot easier than before.
The Benefits of AKO Army Enterprise Email
The AKO Army Enterprise Email service applies to the whole organization. It offers a possible common platform that facilitates collaboration throughout various organizational functions. Detailed benefits of the DoD Enterprise Email (DEE) are as follow:
- More secured email access via mobile or static connection regardless of the location and time
- DEE allows and guarantees various agencies to exchange information among different virtual groups in diverse geographical locations much easier and more efficiently.
- As a coordination tool over calendar sharing (individual, organizational, and resource calendars) throughout the DoD organization
- Operational cost reduction by abolishing pointless administration and unproductive resource consumption
- Operational effectiveness improvement by directing resources to other urgent priorities
- Data duplication among the DECCs to guarantee communications in a more secured way and extensively available
- DEE design aims for email capability deployment support that can accommodate 1.5 million users of AKO accounts.
- DEE supports 10 million objects of GAL (Global Address List), such as the holders of DoD CAC (Common Access Card) and NPEs (Non-Person Entities).
The cloud computing system indeed shows more increasing benefits. Hence a cloud-based military portal and AKO Army Enterprise Email or DEE will also provide security, short and long-term efficiency, and easy to use. The army personnel can optimize the use of this service as well as their service records anywhere, anytime, and from any place.
AKO Army Enterprise Email OWA Login
- Link to Access AKO Army Enterprise Email OWA Login: https://web.mail.mil/owa
- When it prompts you for a certificate, you may choose the “DOD EMAIL” certificate.